As mentioned, I’m back to my family home for the holidays (then I’ll probably roll back to Trento), where the food is sacred and the word diet is forbidden. I thought my friend Bea was exaggerating when she said she was in diet till Christmas, but I guess I should have been more strict about my dietary rules until now. Because I’m basically surrounded by every kind of dessert (and it’s hotel dessert so it’s always fresh and tasty), sweets, chocolate and everything that cannot be labeled as whole food.
My family doesn’t eat healthy and normally that didn’t bothered me, also because I was home like 2 days per month so I could binge and be happy anyway because then I would have been in Trento and there would be no desserts in our kitchen. Now I feel like this is a problem. From the very start, like breakfast in the morning, everything is sugary and fat, till the last dessert of the evening.
What shall we do then? I’m not saying that I haven’t eaten any kind of dessert (My WILLPOWER is so low that I have eaten a little bite every day – damn me), but there are a few things I’m trying to follow.
- No alcohol, it doesn’t matter the occasion, I’m avoiding every kind of alcoholic drink till NYE (also because my running at the moment sucks and I don’t wanna make things worse).
- No sugar in my coffee, nor in my tea – and soy milk in my cappuccino. It might seem minimal, but when you consider that we (actually I do so) between 3 to 7 coffees per day, and each of them has 5 kcal, there are good reasons why a little bit of sugar is off the cards.
- Find something else to do at the Apres Ski time. I don’t know whether it’s like this even where you live, but since I live in the mountains, they have this beautiful tradition of doing Apres Ski, which is kind of a bigger aperitivo, where there is more food and more to drink, because you are supposed to go there straight after skiing. I decided to work at that time, not only because so I earn money and can travel more, but also because that means I cannot eat. Plus, yesterday I got a promotion – I’m now taking care of the buffet, which means I have to go in and out of the kitchen to refill the buffet, which means I burn calories.
- Go for the proteins – carbs will find you anyway. In Trento I already stopped eating carbs, or better, refined carbs, I ate whole wheat oats and stuff like that, but no pasta, nor bread and so on (oh btw, does someone know anything about the protein pasta?). Now I cut out everything but the morning cereals (which are basically disgusting cause there is no sugar, no chocolate, no nothing).
- One bite of the dessert if necessary. I love the struffoli, it’s a dessert grandpa’s sister makes every year once a year only for Christmas and I know that by the 25th they will already be gone, so I ate them, but only a spoon, nothing more. Because one spoon is manageable, more becomes way too much.
- Gym, gym, gym. It doesn’t matter how tired you are, you have to keep hitting the gym. Make time for it. Have fun doing it. Because there is no other way to burn calories.
How about you? Can you give me your top 6 rules not to binge on holidays?
Have A Safe Journey!